Monday, March 12

Just Be You


        I think that in today's day and age we find the concept of just being ourselves a little cliche. Like of course I'm going to be myself, who else could I be? But after watching numerous Single Girls Guide episodes with Erin Foster and reading her articles on Hello Giggles and on her blog, Totally Confident and Completely Insecure, it has hit me that this concept is so so so important for us to grasp. For the past little while I have really embraced who I am and the things about me that I maybe used to be ashamed of. Like the way I laugh so so loudly sometimes, and the way I talk ultra fast when I have something I need to say, or the way that when I get excited about something, I just go bananas. This has not always been the case. I used to take on the impressions of the people around me who led me to believe that I was annoying or childish, but the truth is that those things I do are just a part of who I am and when it comes to me, you just have to take the whole package. Sometimes I'm going to talk your ear off about something you could care less about, and sometimes I'm going to declare that I'm just too funny, more often than is appropriate. But I will also love you more than you realize, all the time and be there for you when you need to just get wild and cut off all your hair. There are good and bad qualities about everyone and it would be unfair for us to think that we can just pick and choose which things we want a person to act upon and which we do not. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for self improvement and if a friend who is near and dear to your heart approaches you about an area in your life that they feel needs help, I believe that you should respectfully consider it, but I don't think that we should let others impressions of us shape us into the people we are trying to force ourselves to become. If you just be you, completely and fully, all the time, then the types of people, be it friendships or relationships, who are going to compliment your personality the best will be drawn to you, and the people who you are going to spend your whole life trying to impress, wont have a space in your life to input their negativity. Not to mention how awkward it is when we try to act like some other person who we think is either really cool or more interesting than us. You were not made to be anybody but you and until you embrace that quirky, loving, beautiful soul that you have, your just going to exhaust yourself and end up feeling like life's greatest disappointment. We all want to belong, but its when belonging becomes more important to you then being who you are that there is a problem. Are you still going to have moments where you feel inadequate at life? Are you still going to wonder how anyone will ever love you after you ditch all your friends for 2 weeks to spend time with your new bunny named Oscar? Are you still going to want to grab the attention of that cute boy from English lit? Yeah, but you'll figure it out with time, bunnies are always worth it and your probably pretty cool and he's probably just already in love with you, so be yourself and go for it. There is no one else out there quite like you, don't rob the world of the opportunity to experience how great you are.



Shout out to the lovely Erin Foster for her inspiration annnnd you should all go check out her stuff because she is the shit.

No comments: